Re: [ga] Text of ballot question

I have a few additions to make [see below]

James Love wrote:

>>From yesterdays comments, this is the proposed text.
>Jamie
>
>=======May 9 text=====
>The GA asks the US Department of Commerce to have an open competition for
>the services now provided by ICANN, provided that the new competition would
>address the need to develop an international framework for DNS management -

one that includes and encourages public user input and participation in
policy deliberation and formulation as an integral and irrevocable element.

>The rationale for asking for a new open competition is that ICANN has
>dramatically changed the initial terms of reference for ICANN, and is
>proposing even further changes. These proposed changes have met extensive
>opposition in the Internet community and go even further from the original
>terms of reference,

as they further diminish ICANN's accountability to the Internet
Communities of the world, and effectively silence any meaningful public
input or participation in the decision and/or policy making processes
within the ICANN.

>. The  new open competition  would allow the DoC to
>consider both the ICANN board proposal for restructuring,  and alternatives
>offered by others for managing key Internet resources, while providing for a
>public record of the process for enhanced visibility.  The GA also reminds
>the DoC, that in the Green and the White  Paper, the USG made it clear that
>it intends to withdraw from DNS management. An open competition should aim
>to achieve comprehensive privatization and internationalization of DNS
>services, consistent with the need for stability,

public accountability and participation,