Re: [ga] Text of ballot question

Thursday, May 09, 2002, 9:56:15 AM, James Love wrote:

>>From yesterdays comments, this is the proposed text.
> Jamie

> =======May 9 text=====
> The GA

And that is where you still have a problem.

Secondly, the GA CAN'T make a statement on this, it is not empowered
to.  Individual GA members may, and you have already indicated to me
off list that you are pursuing an independent non-GA statement for
people to attach their names to.   Yet you insist that the GA should
do it also.

You did not deny in our offlist exchange that you were pushing this
because of the PR value that a statement like that coming from an
internal ICANN body would be worth to your position.  You seemed to
acquiesce to that fact, as a matter of fact.

The one issue you refused to address in that exchange was if you
understood the very real and likely damage that your motion being
advanced by the GA would cause, namely that this would be used as a
VERY effective argument against open public participation inside ICANN
or inside ANY successor organization.

Others more fluent than me have addressed why this is not only a
likely, but a probably result (See emails from Thomas, Alexander, and
Roberto, amongst others).

You also failed to address the issue of this matter being outside the
CHARTER permitted scope of the GA.  Our chair has not rule on this
procedural question either.  ATTN: THOMAS, this requires your
attention!

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>