[ga] From Verisign with Love.

Q:

The domain name I want has expired according to the WHOIS record. Why
can't I register that name?

The WHOIS record "expiration date" simply indicates the current contract
period for a domain name registration. Contract periods vary from one to
ten years. If you fail to pay your registration fee, your domain name
registration is subject to deactivation and eventual deletion from our
systems under normal billing procedures and technology requirements.
Many factors may cause the "expiration date" to vary from the eventual
date of deletion.