Re: [ga] Re: Request for a Working Group

Joanna and all assembly members,

  Well ICANN is accountable.  It is just that they are rarely HELD
accountable.  The cost of doing so can be very high as well.  Hence
another aspect of the problem.  The second level of oversight is the
DOC/NTIA.  They however are also a bit budget strapped at the moment
as well as personnel strapped, and therefore cannot do an adequate job
of oversight of ICANN as they might otherwise do, or should do.
This therefore means that the ultimate oversight is the
Registrant/consumer/stakeholders/user.  But individually they
are weak, and the ICANN staff know this all to well.  Collectively
however they can be a force, which is why the ICANN staff fears
something like the AT-Large or an IDNO, and will do anything to
prevent such organizations from forming through whatever means
they can muster.  So far, they have been relatively successful, with
INEGroup as the only exception of significant ability...

Joanna Lane wrote:

> ICANN contracts are only likely to be better than contracts made by an
> individual if it also takes on the role of monitoring quality of the
> service, checking contract compliance and reviewing user satisfaction. There
> is an argument to be made for encouraging some form of centralized oversight
> to prevent fraud and so on, while stopping short of contract enforcement.
> This would be better than an ICANN that agrees contracts without being
> accountable, which is the worst of all worlds.
>
> Joanna

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827