Re: [ga] Re: Request for a Working Group

Michael and all assembly members,

  ICANN as it is currently staffed, has few competencies at all
that are apparent.  In fact they have problems keeping their own
web sit up, and mailing list's operating and configured properly.
None the less ICANN must if it is to survive, infuse the
"Relevant Competencies" to which you refer, or be found
habitually lacking and itself become irrelevant.  I am not sure
any of us in the mid to long, term would like the results of
that very much.

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:

> 1. I don't like it.  ICANN has no relevant competencies.  And it leads to
> function gallop.
>
> 2. I suggest as part of the ICANN reform we stop it.
>
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>
> > Michael,
> >
> > Whether you like it or not, we currently regulate the registrar community by
> > way of contracts (such as the Registrar Accreditation Agreement).  These
> > contracts specify registrar obligations, and how they are to attend to
> > "Business Dealings, Including with Registered Name Holders" (section 3.7).
> > This puts the issue of registrar practices squarely within ICANN's purview,
> > and creating modifications to this contract language indeed falls within the
> > ICANN consensus process.
> >
> > Clearly we have a right to establish provisions to curtail nefarious business
> > practices in order to "enhance user choice and satisfaction".
> >
> > --
> > This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list.

>                 Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
> A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin@law.tm
> U. Miami School of Law, P.O. Box 248087, Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA
> +1 (305) 284-4285  |  +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)  |  http://www.law.tm
>                         -->It's warm here.<--

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827