Re: [ga] Re: Verisign proceeds with WLS, despite opposition

Harold and all assembly members,

Harold Whiting wrote:

> *synopsis:
>
> 1. Verisign was never looking for consensus, only how marketable WLS would
> be once it became "the only way to get a used domain name".

  Well you may be right here Harold.  But with a broken ICANN and
a never really existed "Consensus" process, you really can't blame
Version if this is their tactics.

> 2. Verisign believes it is not required to submit to ICANN consensus process.

  Again, with a broken ICANN and not real consensus process, why
should they?

> 3. Verisign assumes that everyone who has not spoken out against WLS
> (especially those that have never even heard of it) are stron supporters of
> WLS.

  Yes, and this is a terribly flawed view.  It may backfire on them at
some point.

> 4. Since the "official" RC position was staunchly against this, Verisign
> uses thier own registrar holdings, and Snap Names' partners too, combined
> with the most tortured math and logic concievable, to declare "overwhelming
> support" byt the Registrars for WLS.

  Yes, and this also is something that Version and NSOL before, has
always practiced.  But when your are still the biggest brute on the block,
you can get away with this kind of nonsense.

> 5. Verisign still firmly maintains that no existing businesses will be
> adversely affected by WLS and the resulting monopoly on the "used domain"
> market.  After all, now they can simply buy the "new product"!

  LOL!  Yeah that's about right...

> *The above is strictly my own opinion, based upon the written documents
> publicly posted by VGRS. No warranty is made for its accuracy. Your milage
> may vary.

  And ICANN has no warranty either!  >;)  But we once all hoped that
they would develop one.

> --HJW--
> Harold Whiting

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827