Re: [ga] Re: Discussion Draft -- ICANN Reorganization

Michael and all assembly members,

  Stacking the deck is an ICANN BoD and staff trademark as many of
us have seen all to often.  I sometimes wonder why Louis or Joe
have not sought to have stackthedeck.com registered as and ICANN
Trademark...

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:

> ICANN's experience with picking noncom's is pretty telling.  The one that
> picked the candidates for the at-large last time was a stacked groups with
> no one at all from the 'loyal opposition'.  Not surprisingly they only
> picked candidates friendly to management.  And got pasted in both
> N.America and Europe.
>
> The NomCom for the IPR was selected in a manner that produced a group
> unable or unwilling (by design?) to discharge its duties.  No one has yet
> appologized for this or even tried to explain it.
>
> The Lynn plan is a non-starter for a large number of reasons, not least
> mission gallop (also reflected in the Touton memo).  But one of the
> reasons it is hard to take it seriously is the failure to describe a
> noncom procedure that is visibly fair, and not likely to be captured by
> the management.
>
> The IETF uses a nomcom that is randomly selected from members who attend
> meetings and volunteer.  Since ICANN has driven away so many of its
> members, and since meetings are rare and in expensive locations, physical
> attendence cannot be an element of selection for the nomcom.  But nor can
> the staff be allowed to have the power to stack the deck, as they have
> amply demonstrated they are not able to discharge this function in a
> competent manner.  Who then?
>
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, vint cerf wrote:

> > >These candidates are supposed to represent every area of the globe in proportion of 300.000.000 people each,
> >
> > we know it is impossible to have direct representation for 500M users of the Internet. Similarly it is
> > impossible to directly represent every country in the world. The board is supposed to be composed of
> > people who can think about the needs of the Internet and its users, providers, etc as members of a
> > team: the board of trustees of ICANN. Every director is in fact responsible to ICANN to do the best
> > he or she can to think about the Internet as a whole in making policy determinations for ICANN.
> >

> > >Don't you think that selecting every three years 6 @large directors will be as much complex and costly as choosing every 12 years an UN General Secretary?
> >

> > Assuming staggered terms the selection process would be annual wouldn't it?

> > >Why not just a cost based upon the rendered services - if any - with a cross subsidization among the TLDs charging their users and the ones not charging them?
> >
> > this is certainly an approach worth pursuing with the various funding constituencies.
> >
> > >When will we see the ICANN rates?
> >
> > when the proposed budget emerges probably at or before Bucharest.
> >

> > >jfc
> > >

> > --
> > This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list.

>                 Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
> A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin@law.tm
> U. Miami School of Law, P.O. Box 248087, Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA
> +1 (305) 284-4285  |  +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)  |  http://www.law.tm
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827