Re: [ga] FYI: Staff Draft towards Mission Statement

Karl and all assembly members,

  Good short list Karl!  Well done!

  I have a few questions for you Karl, or anyone else here in the
GA assembly that might have some thoughts or potential
answers/opinions.

 To add to you list Karl I had these thoughts.  Consider them questions.

1.)  UDRP(s) - Is there a absolute need, or is it even open to question
as to whether of not a single UDRp should be used to handle
Domain Name disputes?
1.1) Should a UDRP be used to deal with Registrar/Registry
disputes for Transfer and delete issues?
1.2) Is the UDRP(s?) a DNSO issue and should the board consider
them such?  Should the DNSO GA have a position on UDRP(s),
and should that position be determined by the GA members?

2.) Should the At-Large, should there ever be one, be able to vote
     on policies or proposals of policy for management of IP address
     management, DNS management, and Protocol standards, or should
     the representatives elected by the At-Large act in their behalf
     on ALL IP, DNS, and Protocol issues?

3.) Should there be a central WHOIS, and is this an ICANN
     Board or staff level decision?  Whom should determine
     what information is displayed in a WHOIS lookup, the
     BoD or staff, or the stakeholders...??

4.) In a very broad sense, should stakeholders have a direct
     vote/decision on any of the IP, DNS, or Protocol practices
     and/or policies?

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Alexander Svensson wrote:
>
> > ICANN Staff Draft: Toward a Statement of the ICANN Mission (7 March 2002)
> > http://www.icann.org/general/toward-mission-statement-07mar02.htm
> > What ICANN Does
>
> Which is quite a different matter than what ICANN ought to do.
>
> I won't be nearly as prolix as ICANN's staff.  One could presume that
> their salaries are based on the word count of their productions. ;-)
>
> Here's my rather shorter list of things that ICANN ought to do.  Please
> pardon the shorthand form.
>
>                 --karl--
>
> 1 Allocation of IP addresses
>
> 1.1 Is a very complex issue
>
> 1.1.1 it is a mix of technical and economic factors and there is very
> little understanding of these issues outside of those who are directly
> involved in the address allocation or routing systems of the Internet.
>
> 1.1.1.1 The economic ramifications are generally under appreciated.
>
> 1.2 The most basic goal is adherence to the principles of CIDR.
>
> 2 DNS Tasks
>
> 2.1 Hint file publication
>
> 2.2 Root zone entry admission and maintenance (i.e. who gets an entry in
> the root zone and to where should the delegation records point.)
>
> 2.3 Periodic root zone file construction, distribution, disaster data
> preservation.
>
> 2.4 Root server operation (direct or indirect)
>
> 2.5 Root server placement (involves question of "anycast" routing
> technology.)
>
> 2.6 Root zone dissemination
>
> 2.7 Failure/error monitoring
>
> 2.8 Preservation of historical versions of zone files/delegations.
>
> 2.9 Huge open question: To what extent should ICANN reach into TLD
> registration systems?
>
> 2.9.1 Most basic: escrow/data protection and recovery
>
> 2.9.2 Less basic: whois gathering and accuracy
>
> 2.9.3 Registry-registrar protocols
>
> 2.9.3.1 (Note, registry/registrar model is not only one possible.  E.g. it
> is possible to represent domain name "ownership" by a digital certificate
> [non-repudiation of transfers requires support from by a transfer agent
> [who needs not know the subject matter of the certificate], much like a
> "bearer bond".)
>
> 2.9.4 Least basic: DNS consumer rights, UDRP

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827