Re: [ga] If ICANN were to collapse...

Sotiris and all stakeholders or interested parties,

  You make a good point here Sotiris.  And your more than likely
right as well.  But I would say that Verisign benefits more than
any either way.  Verisign has a well entrenched customer
core, and frankly offers the best "Overall" services as it stands
now.  All one has to do is review the Reegistry/Regisstrar
contracts with ICANN as well as the Divestiture of .ORG
and .NET agreement to understand that.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> Who would benefit the most?
>
> My opinion: Verisign.
>
> In Frank Herbert's sci-fi masterpiece "Dune", there is a
> line: "He who controls the spice, controls the Universe."
> "Spice" being a psychoactive natural organic chemical that
> occurs only on one planet in an Imperium of millions of
> solar systems.  This substance "spice melange" heightens
> consciousness and extends life; it is the most precious
> substance in the Universe and it forms the very basis of
> interstellar transportation and communication, as well as
> Universal economy and commerce, similar to the Gold
> Standard. [or Domain Standard?] Yet, the spice involves a
> necessary lifelong addiction, and the price is controlled
> by the Emperor. COM, NET, ORG are the spice melange in the
> Internet Universe, and the single Verisign registry is a
> monopoly like that of the Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV over
> spice production in Herbert's Known Universe.  We [domain
> owners and registrars alike] are at their mercy.
>
> [the above were just some musings for entertainment
> purposes]
>
> :)
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Sotiris Sotiropoulos
>         Hermes Network Inc.
>         Toronto, Canada
>
> ----
> direct: 416.422.1034
>
> icq: 34564103

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827