Re: [ga] Fw: Discussion Paper: Redemption Grace Periods for Deleted Names

Marc and all assembly members,

Marc Schneiders wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, at 06:19 [=GMT+0100], Alexander Svensson wrote:
> > At 15.02.2002 21:58, Marc Schneiders wrote:

- snippage -

> > It seems to me that the only ones negatively affected
> > are companies and individuals trying to make a business
> > out of the current situation where at least /some/
> > domains are deleted without the owner realizing it.
> > This may not apply to those users who use some kind of
> > Auto Renew and who keep their contact data current
> > and accurate. But then again, to err is human --
> > which is why I appreciate adding a bit of forgiveness
> > to the domain deletion process! :)
>
> Fine with me in principle, but without a fee on the _registry_ level. But
> could we then tackle at the same time the problem of expired domains that
> are not deleted, not even after a year?  Not only speculators are looking
> at those names. Also people, companies, organizations that want to use
> them for web, mail etc. Speculators are not the only people hoarding
> domains. See e.g. number9.org.

  Good points here Marc.  Agreed that that no fee is necessary
or even reasonable at the REGISTRY level.  I would also
strongly agree that Domain Names that are not deleted
and are still active even after more than  year needs to be
addressed as par to the solution to the *Delete* problem.

> The whole deletion process is somewhat of a mess. Part solutions to
> problems, like this proposal and VeriSign's waiting list, will only make
> it worse. I think it is good that ICANN (and not VeriSign) tackles the
> whole problem.

  I think you mean Kent Crispin and not Verisign don't you?  >;)
In any event, yes this should be the kinds of issues that ICANN
addresses.  I am somewhat skeptical as to whether their solution,
if any, will be a complete one...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827