Re: [ga] Twenty Questions for Verisign about the WLS

George and all assembly members,

  These are very good questions that need to be answered by
Verisign as well as the ICANN BoD and staff.  Well done George! >:)

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've gone through the discussions of the past month carefully and tried
> to come up with a set of questions for Verisign. Feel free to consider
> adding them to the DNSO GA, Registrars, or other constituency questions
> (I think the more a question is repeated, the greater difficult
> Verisign will face in refusing to provide answers). Many will recognize
> these questions from before, although there are a few new ones that
> I've not seen posted elsewhere. Apologies if you receive this email
> more than once.
>
> Let's play 20 questions:
>
> 1. CIRA, the registry for dot-ca, was able to manage 100-times
> scalability when it released expired names recently for re-registration
> (see http://www.cira.ca/news-releases/63.html ). Given that this
> non-profit registry did not require a wait-list system, nor a
> surcharge, what are the technical flaws in Verisign systems that
> prevent a similar system as CIRA?
>
> 2. a) What are the success criteria that Verisign/ICANN intend to use
> at the end of the 1-year WLS testing period (these should be specified
> ex-ante, not ex-post)?
>    b) Do those criteria take into account the existing competitive
> landscape that exists in the market?
>    c) If so, what market measurements has Verisign/ICANN made of the
> current competitive landscape (NameWinner, eNom, AWRegistry,
> ExpireFish, SnapNames, NicGenie, IARegistry, Signature Domains, and
> other competitors), to serve as the basis for a comparison?
>    d) Under what metrics will the WLS test be considered a failure?
>
> 3. At: http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc09/msg00081.html Chuck
> Gomes wrote "The value to the Internet community therefore seems rather
> obvious to me. But, if there is none as you suggest, then the service
> will be a failure.  On the other hand, if there is demand and hence
> value, it will succeed.  The level of success will depend on how much
> demand and value there is.  The best way to test it is to let the
> market prove it one way or other."
>
> There currently exists a competitive market in the automotive industry
> (as there is for the expired domain names industry). If it was replaced
> by a single monopolistic seller for a 1-year test period, cars would
> undoubtedly still be bought, as there is a intrinsic demand for cars
> themselves. How does Verisign/ICANN intend to differentiate the demand
> for WLS from the demand for the expired names themselves, when there
> would be no alternative mechanism for securing those expired names for
> which there is a basic demand already that is being satisfied in the
> market?
>
> 4. If the WLS is deemed to be illegal (due to anti-trust law, and/or
> relevant Commodity Futures law), will Verisign/ICANN indemnify affected
> resellers, registrants and other market participants from all
> liability, legal costs, and implementation costs associated with the
> 1-year test?

> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827