[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Court throws out lawsuit over anti-General Motors domain name

Chris and all,

  Thank you Chris for this posting and URL reference.

  Now if we could only get the WIPO crowd to learn more about
TM law...  Wishful thinking I know...

Chris Chiu wrote:

> A United States Federal court has dismissed a lawsuit against the owners of
> a domain name that criticized General Motors. In this dispute, the Ford
> Motor Company had sued the domain name's owner, 2600 magazine, on the theory
> that the term will confuse "the public into believing that somehow Ford has
> approved (of the tactic) or is somehow involved." The presiding judge
> disagreed and held that the trademark laws "cannot be interpreted so broadly
> as to include any use that might disparage or otherwise commercially harm
> the mark owner."
>
> See
> http://www.internetdemocracyproject.org/#highlights
>
> Sincerely,
> Christopher Chiu
> Global Internet Liberty Campaign Organizer
> American Civil Liberties Union

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827