[ga] Straw Poll on Working Group

All

So far, it looks as if almost everyone is opposed to VeriSign's WLS proposal
except the staff of VeriSign and SnapNames themselves.

There also seems to be reasonable support for the idea of setting up a WG on
domain name registration systems.  However, some seemed to prefer that this be
done by the NC rather than the GA itself.  I think this is creating an
unnecessary obstacle to our self-determination.

I haver extracted most of the relevant comments below.  Unfortunately, I could
not interpret the views of some people (such as Kent Crispin) who chose not to
respond to the straw poll.

As a few people have expressed strong views, I'd say we need further
clarification.  It does look as if consensus is that any working group should
be open to all comers.

I therefore propose we amend the poll as follows:

In relation to setting up a Open Working Group on domain name registration
systems to address the problems associated with transfers, expirations and
deletions.

In favor of an open working group set up by the GA on its own behalf   [X]
In favor of an open working group set up by the NC at the Chair's request
 ]
Opposed to any sort of working group however constituted  [  ]

I understand that some are opposed to the whole idea of having a straw poll
but there is no other way for the Chair to determine the wishes of the GA
membership.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss