[ga] RE: [icann-delete] Proposal: Registry Re-circulation System

Hello,

> With regard to the hammering, the simple solution is to not make the
> expiration date publicly available and to delete the names at random
> times.

This wouldn't work, as folks would pound the registry 24 hours a day,
365 days a year. The current system (albeit with greater certainty as
to the exact day a name will drop) works fine, as they get deleted at 2
pm on a certain day (+/- 1 day). Verisign knows how to solve their
"hammering" problem, by introducing rate-limiting ("throttling") and
other technical fixes proposed by numerous parties. Simple use of the
ANSI C sleep() library function would allow Verisign to introduce a
response delay, so that registrars can't flood connections with
requests at a pace faster than Verisign registry's physical capacity.

Here's some code for their server:

#define Verisign_is_a_monopolist TRUE

while (Verisign_is_a_monopolist)
{
    get_registrar_request(); //(accepts request)
    available = check_Verisign_database_for_availability();
    if (available) // (available = TRUE)
    {
        register_domain_for_registrar();
        report_success_to_registrar();
        chaching_6_dollars_to_Verisign();
        sleep(100_MILLISECONDS); // (inserts time delay)
    }
    else // (not available)
    {
        report_failure_to_registrar();
        sleep(100_MILLISECONDS);
    }
    // goes back to top of "while" loop
}

Of course, I'm sure the real Verisign code is slightly more complex,
but the principle is still the same. If NASA can send man to the moon
and design the space shuttle, I'm sure that Verisign can add 2 lines of
code to their server. Even if they want to use standard "government"
billing models, where $5,000 toilet seats are not unusual, I think they
can get it done cheaply and efficiently.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/