[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] New .org draft

Katy and all,

  We at INEGroup share your sentiments almost exactly on this important
issue with .ORG and it's future.  Thank you for sharing them in such
a meaningful and articulate manner...

KathrynKL@aol.com wrote:

>    <<Please note that the problem with "sponsored, unrestricted" was
> raised in
> this forum long ago, and was ignored.>>
>
> I see that we have returned -- in a personal and heated manner -- to
> the
> question of whether .ORG should be a restricted or unrestricted gTLD.
> We
> have definitely focused on this issue, with discussion and debate.  It
> was
> hardly ignored.
>
> Among the things we discussed (fall), was:  The .ORG space is not
> homogeneous, and it is not solely used by organizations.  .ORG has
> become the
> default space for noncommercial speech in the gTLDs.  .COM and .NET
> are
> commercial.  That means that everyone else seeks the refuge of .ORG.
> This
> includes organizations, political statements, educational groups,
> educational
> statements, and websites of individuals and families.  It has become a
>
> wonderful thing!
>
> But our .ORG users are difficult to classify, and their speech and
> communication sometimes blurs lines because commercial groups can have
>
> noncommercial messages.  .ORG is a gem on the Net -- for individuals,
> organizations, alliances, shared personal, political and religious
> beliefs,
> unincorporated organizations, and ideas.   We discussed the deep
> concern that
> .ORG, as a sponsored gTLD, excludes some noncommercial communication
> and
> leaves it no place else to go.
>
> An alternative:  keep .ORG as the robust place for ideas,
> organizations and
> commentary that it has become.  Then, urge ICANN to create a new,
> sponsored
> gTLD that can be limited to noncommercial organizations.
>
> regards, kathy kleiman/acm-igp

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827