Re: [ga] No room on the bus

Danny,

I read the instructions posted about 'Starting with...'
Starting with the Marina Del Rey 2001 meeting, there will be a new format for
sponsorship opportunities for this ICANN
         meeting. This is in response to feedback that we have received from the
constituencies and the community. It is our hope
         that this will offer proper visibility for those who chose to support
our meeting, while preserving its neutrality for all
         participants.

         All sponsors will have their logos appear on the ICANN website and
during breaks on the meeting screens. A table will be
         provided for distribution of literature for sponsors only. Additional
recognition of sponsorship is listed below in the
         description of each level. An organization that is not a sponsor will
not be permitted to distribute materials in the meeting
         area.

         Three levels of sponsorship are available:

              Top-Level: US$15,000 – Booth/table in meeting area for entire
meeting *

              Second-Level: US$10,000 – Booth/table in meeting area for one day *

              Third-Level: US$5,000 – Signage on coffee break tables

         * For this meeting, top-level sponsors will also be designated as
sponsors of a special event to be announced later; and
         second-level sponsors will also be designated as a co-sponsors of an
ICANN meeting reception.

         If you are interested in becoming a sponsor or would like more
information, please contact Mary Hewitt at 310-301-5801 or
         at hewitt@icann.org.

Where above did you see the need to contact ms. hewitt?  I agree the ICANN
decision sucks, but did it even have to come up?
They were sponsoring a specific session with a non-monetary contribution. Doesnt
appear to fit into any of the above categories. what am I missing?

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Dear members,
>
> It is my duty as your Chair to report on recent events.  As many of you know,
> the General Assembly will be meeting on the evening of November 12 from 8PM
> to 11PM.  The new.net organization kindly offered to sponsor our session by
> providing food and beverage during our meeting (which comes at the end of a
> very long day of back-to-back meetings).
>
> Protocol required that I contact Mary Hewitt as per the instructions posted
> at http://www.icann.org/mdr2001/  because "Starting with the Marina Del Rey
> 2001 meeting, there will be a new format for sponsorship opportunities for
> this ICANN meeting."
>
> Ms. Hewitt rejected the sponsorship application of new.net citing the fact
> that they did not support the authoritative root.
>
> I sent a reconsideration request to Stuart Lynn.  Mr. Lynn responded that "we
> place bounds around whom we accept as sponsors. And new.net does not fit the
> package."
>
> On the 1st of December 1955, Mrs. Rosa Parks, an African-American seamstress,
> was arrested in Montgomery, Alabama for failing to let a white bus rider take
> her seat.   Today, ICANN has proven that discrimination is still very much
> alive, and that there is no longer any room on the bus for those that don't
> share the same views as ICANN staff.
>
> Although our Memorandum of Understanding with the US Department of Commerce
> states:  "Neither Party, either in the DNS Project or in any act related to
> the DNS Project, shall act unjustifiably or arbitrarily to injure particular
> persons or entities or particular categories of persons or entities," recent
> ICANN actions, from the issuance of ICP-3 to this sponsorship denial, make it
> clear that ICANN is indeed acting to injure a particular cartegory of
> entities.
>
> I thank new.net for demonstrating its commitment to participation in the
> ICANN process and for its support of the General Assembly.  It is to our
> shame that such efforts at participation are routinely being denied by those
> charged with the coordination activities of the Internet.  This is a sad day
> in our history, and I mourn the death of the concept of "fairness".

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin  phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec  fax:   (819) 827-4398