Re: [ga] No room on the bus

Yes, and they want airport security people not to be government
employees, but civilians subject to "government oversight."  I think
I'll hitchhike.

Bill Lovell

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Dear members,
>
> It is my duty as your Chair to report on recent events.  As many of you know,
> the General Assembly will be meeting on the evening of November 12 from 8PM
> to 11PM.  The new.net organization kindly offered to sponsor our session by
> providing food and beverage during our meeting (which comes at the end of a
> very long day of back-to-back meetings).
>
> Protocol required that I contact Mary Hewitt as per the instructions posted
> at http://www.icann.org/mdr2001/  because "Starting with the Marina Del Rey
> 2001 meeting, there will be a new format for sponsorship opportunities for
> this ICANN meeting."
>
> Ms. Hewitt rejected the sponsorship application of new.net citing the fact
> that they did not support the authoritative root.
>
> I sent a reconsideration request to Stuart Lynn.  Mr. Lynn responded that "we
> place bounds around whom we accept as sponsors. And new.net does not fit the
> package."
>
> On the 1st of December 1955, Mrs. Rosa Parks, an African-American seamstress,
> was arrested in Montgomery, Alabama for failing to let a white bus rider take
> her seat.   Today, ICANN has proven that discrimination is still very much
> alive, and that there is no longer any room on the bus for those that don't
> share the same views as ICANN staff.
>
> Although our Memorandum of Understanding with the US Department of Commerce
> states:  "Neither Party, either in the DNS Project or in any act related to
> the DNS Project, shall act unjustifiably or arbitrarily to injure particular
> persons or entities or particular categories of persons or entities," recent
> ICANN actions, from the issuance of ICP-3 to this sponsorship denial, make it
> clear that ICANN is indeed acting to injure a particular cartegory of
> entities.
>
> I thank new.net for demonstrating its commitment to participation in the
> ICANN process and for its support of the General Assembly.  It is to our
> shame that such efforts at participation are routinely being denied by those
> charged with the coordination activities of the Internet.  This is a sad day
> in our history, and I mourn the death of the concept of "fairness".

The URLs for Best Practices:
DNSO Citation:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaindex.html
(Under "Other Information Documents"; "August 2001:
Proposal for Best Practices for the DNSO GA." This
page also includes much else about the DNSO.)
Part I:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BestPractices.html
Part II:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-flowchart.pdf
(Access to the .pdf file requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader,
available for free down load at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.)
Part III:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-PartIII.html