RE: [ga] Net-block issues

Der Peter, Bill and Roeland,
Domain names exist outside of the DNS name space. They usually are used for
users convenience - to help finding the domain - when registering a
mnemonic for the domain's IP address.

Domains include properties such as web site, e-mail mailboxes,  ftp
services, production database, webmaster offices and staff, printed
advertising ion the domain, IP rights including TMs, etc...

The task of the Registry is only to enter in the TLD Register the name of
the Domain. It is legitimate that he protects himself against a mistake or
a fraud. This only concerns the use of the name of another domain when
registering the name of a domain. As if I was registering in an hotel as
Roeland Meyer. The only act of the Registry and its only responsibility is
equivalent to Holiday INN signing me for one night under a false name. It
provides as service - registering me - not a right it has not.

Now the only problem is that some people create on-purpose domain. i.e.
gather properties only for the Internet and may lead to confusion with
pre-existing domains. IMHO the issue is so complex and so subjective - as
the "famous" trademark issue show it - that the simplest is to address in
the proper way: is or not the name used confusing the user (you will
remember that a TM is only here to remove confusion between two similar
products). Only users can say that.

We use to poll users all the day long. We have sophisticated, powerful and
cheap tools for that. The UDRP should only be a poll taken on a randomly
chose appropriate panel (Jury) saying or not if they get confused and which
site seems most appropriate for them to be associated to the domain name.
- famous TM and sensitive geographical terms will certainly be considered
easily
- complex comparison between ASCII, Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc... being
obvious to the panel
- TLD influence instinctively addressed
- fairness supported: each party will explain its story, plans etc..
on-line and the users will react as consumers, pleased or not with the
ideas they are explained.

Also, such UDRP being a non-confusion test should be available to new
Registrants. So they might take an UDRP test for their new DN? They would
obviously show their good faith since anyone could challenge them - a
permanent sunrise. If the response is positive, they could be UDRP free for
ever and therefore insured that they can invest on the name.

Jefsey

PS. I find interesting the dicussion about the legal authority of the
ICANN. It confirms that it has authority through the contracts it signs,
the only real contracts being with the DoC when buying the IANA fuctions
for less than $ 10.000, the NSI contract and the gTLD countracts.
Considering that the NSI and TLD contracts are - according to the IANA
delegation - to be signed by the DoC, the ICANN has no legal authirity,
while the AmerICANN has the support of the DoC. Until now no other Gov. has
given any legal authority to the CanICANN, to the MexICANN to the AfrICANN
or to the EurICANN ....