Re: [ga] Re: Funding of ICANN Board candidate travel expense

Leah and all assembly members,

  This suggestion is a rather "Clugy" and archaic method of approaching the
problem.  I would also contend that it is also not necessary and can be done

much better should ICANN contact major media sources such as CSPAN
or CNN to host this election proceeding.  I had made inquiries along these
lines several times with regard to ICANN meetings.  None of the ICANN
staff followed up.

L Gallegos wrote:

> If all the candidates can be included in a teleconference open to all
> attendees - IOW a two way from the meeting, I would be in favor.  If
> that session is also part of the webcast, so much the better since
> participants can also pose questions.  That would certainly be less
> expensive than travel expenses for all candidates.
>
> While not perfect, in that there will be at least one candidate
> physically present, it would at least allow for voice communication,
> which is somewhat more revealing than email forums.
>
> Leah
>
> On 20 Aug 2001, at 19:56, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>
> > Dear members,
> >
> > Leah has raised a significant issue that is worthy of debate.  She
> > states:  "Furthermore, if all candidates cannot be present in
> > Montevideo, perhaps none of them should be presented as a part of the
> > meetings to avoid unfair advantage."
> >
> > As I was in favor of a candidates' forum/debate/question-answer
> > session in Montevideo, upon hearing Peter deBlanc's remark during the
> > Names Council teleconference that funding might be available for the
> > candidates, I wrote to Phil Sheppard regarding this issue.  My
> > position was that the constituencies had voted in favor of a later
> > date for their NC vote in order to have the possibility of
> > face-to-face meetings with the candidates, this decision having been
> > made in the full knowledge that certain candidates might not be able
> > to attend owing to financial considerations.
> >
> > Knowing that the DNSO has a budget category for "travel" and another
> > budget category for "contingencies", I argued that we have an
> > opportunity to provide every candidate with an equal opportunity to be
> > heard in person, and that a failure to do so would not be in the best
> > interests of those constituencies that expressed a desire to
> > personally meet all the candidates.
> >
> > Phil sheppard made a counter-proposal to hold "telephone hustings for
> > such candidates".
> >
> > At this point in time, I tend to share Leah's view that any session
> > with only some of the candidates present may in fact serve to
> > discriminate against the other candidates, but I haven't as yet come
> > to a definate conclusion.  What is sufficiently clear is that the
> > Council Chair will not authorize funds for the candidates' travel
> > expenses.
> >
> > I do have my doubts about a telephone session (having noticed the
> > connectivity issues we faced at Stockholm, and the problems at the
> > last ALSC session), but perhaps there is some merit in this
> > proposal...
> >
> > I leave it to you to decide whether the GA should sponsor a session
> > for the candidates.  Please let me know your thoughts.
> >
> > --
> > This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827