RE: [ga] Summary of Verisign meeting in Washington on WHOIS services

Danny, thanks for posting this to the GA.

I regret that I was unable to attend this meeting due to the lateness of
it's publication to the broadly interested community.  There was
regretfully, an important meeting which I was previously scheduled to
participate in which prevented my attending other than merely stopping by. I
had hoped to be able to spend at least a half hour there, but just wasn't
able to.

I think we all both applaud Verisign for doing outreach, and remember that
this was an important part of the agreements during the last contract
negotiations.

Of greater consequence and concern about the last meeting,  largely, the
technical community was not available and I think that is a serious loss.
Also, the broad ISP and business user community was not able to participate.

I understand from my outreach to Verisign that they intend to do other
meetings; I think it essential that this outreach be done in a way in which
the broad technical community's perspectives are a part of the very early
stages of the dialogue. I realize this presents challenges to Verisign to
organize and publicize.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to ask for a meeting in Montevideo to take
preliminary input from the constituencies; realizing that the
representatives will still have to take consultation with their
constituencies after Montevideo. However, if Verisign came prepared with a
presentation, perhaps that could be a useful approach to ensure broader
input and awareness.

Regards, Marilyn