Re: [ga] Jefsey and intellectual property.

Thank you for your questions. I look for your additional inputs
in response as we have a chance tomorrow to discuss with
the IPC. What is not that often.

On 00:27 16/08/01, Thomas Roessler said:
>(Change of subject because this really doesn't have anything to do with
>.info any more.)
>
>On 2001-08-15 18:39:48 +0200, Jefsey Morfin wrote:
>
>>3. UDRP should be a tool to remove user confusion not to settle
>>    disputes.
>
>Maybe I'm a bit dumb - but it's still a dispute resolution policy, that
>is, by definition, a tool to settle disputes, isn't it?

I do not understand the comment. What I say is that the UDRP is not to
consider legal arguments nor to  investigate motivations. As a user I am
not interested. It should only say if a named is used in a way which might
confuse me.

>>4. Pragamatic and fair solutions should be favored, such as    calling on
>>a randomly chosen wide user jury rather than on a    single panelist. The
>>size of the Jury (250 more accounting for    the various languages and
>>cultures).
>
>How do you want to recruit the jurors?  This doesn't even look close to
>being realistic or  practicable.

You probably react too quickly without having considered the problem and
asked a solution to  professionals. You should first consider the way the
German Justice works, who are jurors and why they accept. The concept of
UDRP was much more unrealistic at the beginning. Established things seem
obvious! We tend to forget that before they existed they were considered as
unrealistic by many.

>>5. Realistic policy should be carried and TM protection should
>>be    discussed with every TLD Manager, including those the ICANN
>>has  not yet got the time to register.
>
>Could you please be a bit more specific on what you are talking about here?

There are many TLDs in operations that ICANN has not got the time to
consider as they should as part of their IANA function responsibilities to
he Global, Local and Registrants Internet Communities. This is fully
documented in FTC 920.

The fact that ICANN fails to comply with its mission does not remove the
right to be protected to their non-registrants. Today CocaCola should be in
a position to ask that a "cocalcola.web" would be turned to them. For more
than one year I asked the WIPO to respond on how to relate with them.
- that ICANN wants to be dogmatic about the DNS does not prevent commercial
rights to exist.
- I started asking the WIPO as the .SYS Consortium and its $ 50.000. We
though all this was too un professional to risk what was a big amount to us.

>(Oh, while we are on the topic of non-ICANN-TLDs - what's your current
>opinion on .biz?  Which one should be put into the USG root, again?)

I do not understand your perpetual teasing of mine. I would understand a
confrontation of positions.

As you perfectly know my position is to the users. Every .biz registrant is
entitled to continue to have his site accessed. The DoC was entitled to be
reported the problem by the BoD. The ICANN has created a collision. The
first ever in a deliberated way. They first denied. Then they
acknowledged  and they will be legally responsible should a registrant file
a case.

NewLevel failed the users of Leah, they failed their good faith registrants
with their lottery. Not a good start. I do hope they correct all that and
find a fair solution with Leah.

As far as I am concerned I will decide from Leah's report, from technical
possibilities, from user demands. Nothing prevents us to have two roots
offered to the users.

Real world is real. Decisions are not religious. They only try to respond
the market demand.

>>6. Bold attitude should be developped over the defense of    authoring
>>rights preventing linking collisions over time: whan    an author creates
>>a link to a site, he is entitled to expect -    and so are the readers
>>too - that in clicking that link the    intended page will be displayed
>>or absent. But not a page from    another site.
>
>Define the "intended page" in the case of dynamic content.  Define the
>"intended page" when it's changed by the original author in a way those
>who set links didn't expect.  Are you suggesting that ICANN re-designs the
>Web, or what?

May be would you want to define what is a "dynamic" DN for you. As you know
I have a definition and services using that word. I suppose you do not use
it in the same context, as in my context your question has no meaning.

As a general comment : an author does what he wants. The point is that the
"last year root" is a real "alternative root" to the current root. This is
dues to a conception of DN sales not fitting the reality of the DN, not
matching the RFC 920 and not respecting the reader's rights.
.
>>7. UDRP should be possible on an informational/portection basis.
>>I    should be able to take an UDRP. If I am confirmed no one can    UDRP me.
>
>I don't understand what this paragraph is supposed to say. What does to
>"take an UDRP" mean?

The UDRP - as explained in the first comment - should be a test about the
user confusion over a name. If people in Chamonix start calling the "Mont
Blanc" the "Big Apple", someone from New York may get confused and
complain. I therefore use the locution "to take an UDRP" as one says "to
take a test". When I register a DN, I should be permitted to take a test
(UDRP) about the confusion it may create. Once the User Community through
the UDRP system has said there was no confusion, I should protected against
any other complaint. Among other things it would fully demonstrate my good
faith: my proposition is therefore totally conform to the UDRP and falls
into the improvement that any Registry, ccTLD or Panel may add to the UDRP.

Thank you for your time. I am interested in your suggestions to be
discussed with the IPC.

Jefsey