Re: [ga] Consumer/Registrant Protection Consitituency

Kent and all assembly members,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 07:59:46PM -0400, James Love wrote:
> > Kent, your comment was pretty unfair, IMO.
>
> Thanks for sharing that with me.
>
> > The problem is the other way
> > around. ICANN itself has set out an agenda which is much more than
> > technical. Why do we have a handful of TLDs?  Technical problems?  Why
> > do we have a UDRP?  Technical issues?   Why do we have anti-privacy
> > policies?  Technical issues?
>
> Sorry, it is purely nonsense to claim that ICANN is setting this agenda.
> Essentially everything significant about ICANN's agenda was set before
> ICANN was established, and ICANN has been held to that agenda fairly
> tightly.

  Please provide some documentation that supports this assertion.
If not, than you comment or pontificating here is quite ludicrous!

> > When you make policy decisions, then
> > people care who has the power, and how they are selected.
>
> Yes, and 2 + 2 = 4.  I have always been impressed by your ability to
> make tautologies look like they are meaningful statements.

  Yes and Kent Crispin + Dave Crocker = "CrispyCrockett" too...

> Unfortunately, whenever we get down to precisely what "power" is
> involved, or who "the people" are, or the real significance of the
> "policy decisions", you never seem to have much to offer.

  You considered opinion of course?

> When we do look in detail at what "the power" is, we find that it is in
> fact incredibly constrained by external forces.  When we look at the
> "policy issues" we find things important to a vanishingly small fraction
> of the human race.  When we look in detail at "the people" who are
> heavily involved we find almost entirely TM interests, domain
> speculators, registry/registrar interests, people fascinated by the idea
> of internet governance in general, and an oddball assortment of people
> who have various personal agendas -- lunatics like me, and paid
> political operators like you.  Despite the best efforts of many
> people, there has never been any serious evidence of a larger body of
> interest.  Domain name policy is, IN FACT, an extremely obscure and
> highly technical topic that puts most people to sleep instantly.

  An interesting myopic view, I must say.  And a quite mad as well...
Reminds me of a speech Hitler once made in 1939 in Nuremberg...

> > > It is a sad irony that those who most vociferously complain about ICANN
> > > exceeding its mandate as a technical coordinating body are precisely the
> > > ones who exert the most pressure for it to become a global internet
> > > governance organization, with large scale global elections and an
> > > elaborate representational structure that some have compared to the UN.
> > > It is a great pity that those individuals, some of whom are otherwise
> > > quite intelligent, are simply oblivious to the intrinsic contradiction
> > > in their position, and to the inevitable consequences of that
> > > contradiction...
> > >

> > --
> > James Love, Consumer Project on Technology, http://www.cptech.org
> > love@cptech.org, v. 1.202.387.8030, f 1.202.234.5176
>
> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827