Re: [ga] Consumer/Registrant Protection Consitituency

Joop and all assembly members,

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 20:43 1/08/2001 -0700, William S. Lovell wrote:
> >Which puts you in the position of ratifying ICANN's claim to be
> >a policy making rather than a technical coordinating body, does
> >it not?
>
> I have always maintained that de facto it was a policy making body, even
> when Esther Dyson, the Staff, Mike Roberts, and of course our dear Kent did
> their best to deny it.

  Isn't it interesting how folks/special interest stakeholders like Kent
Crispin
AKA "Crispy Brain" can now profess the opposite?  The worm turns in
interesting ways...

> Of course ICANN makes Domain Policy.

  It can but really only recommends Domain Policy.  And unless or until the
stakeholders have a voice and a vote on any policies, the ICANN BoD
acting on any policy for Domain Names or TLD's is doing so illegitimately.

> And the DNSO is supposed to give it policy-advice.

  Yes and the ICANN Bylaws make this point clear.

> If it wasn't , many of us would not belong in this DNSO Assembly.

  Likely true.

> If ICANN now *claims* it, that is quite helpful.
> Let us all help it to become globally representative, democratic and
> legitimate.

  Making the ICANN BoD legitimate is yet a daunting task.  When the
"Board squatters" are gone, than and only than can this task be potentially
addressed.  They should resign immediately!

> I don't see any other game in town.

  Yes, it is indeed a "Game"!

> --Joop--
> Founder of the Cyberspace Association.
> Former bootstrap of the IDNO (www.idno.org)
> Developer of    The Polling Booth
> www.democracy.org.nz/vote1/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827