Re: [ga] Consumer/Registrant Protection Consitituency

Joop, Erica and all assembly members,

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 12:06 29/07/2001 +0800, erica wrote:
>
> >NAME:
> >If there is general agreement that we need a constituency whose job is to
> >ensure that the interests of consumers of domain names (Registrants)
> >interests are protected, then its a good idea to ensure that's reflected in
> >the name:  ie. Lets call the proposed new constituency the
> >Consumer/Registrants Protection Constituency (C/RPC)
>
> Dear Erica,
> Whilst I agree with some of your observations, I I have a problem  seeing
> Domain Name Registrants as consumers.

   Perhaps we could agree that Domain Name Owners are both consumers
and Domain Name owners as well.  Some Domain Name Owners DO
visit and conduct consuming activities on other sites such as Amazon.com
for instance...

> An Individual Registrant  does not register a Domain Name to consume it.

  Obviously...  >;)

> One registers it to own it (or to hold it, if you wish), and to build it up
> as an asset or an Internet presence.
> Or perhaps to otherwise exercise rights normally associated with the
> ownership of an asset.
>
> There is much more involved than simply protecting consumers against being
> ripped-off.

  Yes there is.  One of those things is to be able to clearly show and
provide information that some Internet organizations of various
types are legitimate and do as they purport to do openly.  This
is and area that ICANN itself needs significant improvement in
and one reason so many watch-Dog groups are eyeing
Internet organizations of late.

> ICANN is being set up as the wielder of power over Internet presence or
> non-presence.

  Perhaps.  Certainly this seems to be what the ICANN BoD and staff
would like to think.  However ICANN presently only has the power
that the stakeholders allow for it to have or get away with thinking it has...

> In order to make the constituency really representative in ICANN , one
> wants a constituency of the Holders/Owners themselves, as Individual Human
> beings (who as content providers have concerns way beyond those of mere
> consumers), not  as a constituency of "protectors" or organizations that
> purport to protect.
> These, if truly non-commercial, should be represented in the NCDNHC.

  Again perhaps.  However as the Constituency model is increasingly
under pressure and scrutiny as to being less that representative
and the ICANN BoD is being extremely selective in the formation
of constituencies, these organizations are seeking other avenues
in increasing numbers.

> For the IDNH, the challenge is the construction of membership driven
> institutions, that can truly scale.

  A daunting task as I can attest to.  But one that requires funding first,
and construction to follow on...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827