Re: [ga] Domain names as observed (was Tucows Response to CochettiTransfer Letter)

Eric and all assembly members,

Eric Dierker wrote:

> Dear Sotiris,
>
> Ok not a hunting permit.
>
> Let us try a ticket to the opera or superbowl or a membership to a Country Club.
> That solves Transferability and Reselling problems.  (although keep in mind a vast
> majority of ccTLD domains are non-transferable)
>
> But, that messes up the public resource concept.

  Sure does!  But some countries that have active ccTLD's are not
public minded, as you know.  :(  .US dn's  anyone???  In any
event, any Domain Name in any address space that have contracted
registration agreements with these restrictions (Of questionable legality?)
are of proportionately restricted value and use.

> Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
>
> > Eric Dierker wrote:
> >
> > > I cannot accept the premise that they are privately owned by Registries or
> > > Registrars - except maybe in the case of a ccTLD - but then that is public in
> > > most countries, hence anti-hoarding laws like our toll-free regs.
> > >
> > > Come to think about it maybe they are more like hunting permits.
> >
> > One cannot sell, lease, or otherwise transfer rights to use a hunting permit.
> > Domain names are sold and re-sold, and leased, and loaned, and willed...
> >

> Perhaps it is like a concession to use a public resource which is transferable.
> Let us remember this thread was about private versus public property.  But for sure
> it is a property right of some sort.
>
> Eric

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827