Re: [ga] Domain names as observed (was Tucows Response to Cochetti Transfer Letter)

Leah and all assembly members,

L Gallegos wrote:

> On 27 Jul 2001, at 22:40, Jeff Williams wrote:
>
> > Marilyn and all assembly members,
> >
> > Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:
> >
> > > Folks, I know I'll engage  much debate here, but I am under the
> > > impression that domain names are not "private property". I believe that's
> > > the present state of the law, but others who are lawyers can comment on
> > > that.
> >
> >   I did comment.  Domain Names are a type of private property under the
> > law.
> >

> > > One registers and uses a domain name. That doesn't convey private
> > > property rights in the domain name.
> >
> >   Under this (your) definition of ONE of the uses of a Domain Name
> > you are correct.  However that is only ONE of the aspects of a Domain
> > Name as it relates to property.  Can a Domain Name be sold?  Yes.
> > Is it considered a asset fiduciary?  Yes.  Can it be auctioned? Yes.
> > Does a Domain Name have an extrinsic value in and of itself? Yes.
> > Can a Domain Name be trademarked?  Yes.
>
> Depending upon the registrant agreement with the registry, the answers
> to all the questions above could very well be "no."

  If you check closely the manner in which I "Couched" the questions I
posed, you will perhaps take notice that The answer of "Yes" is the
most likely answer with the vast majority of the Domain Names
Registered currently.

>  In a chartered or
> restricted registry, there could very well be prohibitions on transfer of
> any kind, especially for a TLD such as .NGO where the domain name
> might very well have to be identical to the org name or its abbreviation,
> etc.

  If this is so, do you have a URL reference?  I was not aware of this
being the case with a .NGO Domain Name registration.

> Once again, it would depend on the contract terms for use of the
> domain and that is set by the registry.

  Yes this could be true I suppose in some instances, but would not hold
up in court in or under contract law and IP law regarding Property.

> As for trademarking a domain name, in the US, it can't be unless it is
> more than just the address for a website.

  HUH???

> The domain name itself, as a
> domain name, is not trademarkable - at least according to the USPTO
> guidelines.

  I think you better check again Leah?  IBM.COM comes to mind for instance.
See: http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/notices/guide299.htm

> Leah
>
> > Looks like private property to me!
> >

> > > I should duck, probably.
> >
> >   No need to duck.  Perhaps a revaluation of your education requirements
> > may be in order?
> >

> > > :-)
> > >
> > > Marilyn

Jeffrey A. Williams