Re: [ga] Letter from ICANN to New.net

Kent and all assembly members,

'Kent Crispin' wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 05:21:36PM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > I look forward to the cessation of your use of email, then,
> > > since the design
> > > of the email protocols came straight out of the IETF...
> >
> > Current email protocols came straight out of sendmail. Eric will be quite
> > surpised to hear you claim otherwise. IETF adopted them after the fact.
> > FidoNet had email back in 1982. IETF didn't exist until 1989 or so. ...
> > amazing how those time-warps work to your sole benefit.
>
> Just to correct yet more of Roeland's inaccuracies:
>
> Aug 13, 1982: RFC 822, "STANDARD FOR THE FORMAT OF ARPA INTERNET TEXT
>          MESSAGES" (Edited by Dave Crocker)

  This RFC was and adoption of documented work done BEFORE the
IETF existed.  So I am not seeing this as any evidence to support your
original contention or more importantly, correcting any inaccuracies
from Roeland.

> Nov 21, 1977: RFC 733, "STANDARD FOR THE FORMAT OF ARPA NETWORK TEXT
>          MESSAGES(1)" (By Dave Crocker)

  Again this RFC was also adopted almost verbatim, from previous
work done BEFORE the IETF existed.  And this is also not
in contrast to anything Roeland contended.

> Sep  5, 1973: RFC 561, "Standardizing Network Mail Headers"
>          (By Bhushan, Pogran, Tomlinson, White)
>
> The first IETF meeting was in 1986, but core group had a long prior
> history, before the name was adopted.

  The "Core Group" really didn't exist as a "Core Group".  Many of us
were working of various adaptations for E-Mail long before even ARPANET.
Roeland may have missed the date of the actual existence of the IETF
by a couple of years.  But that is about all...

>  Those people developed email long
> before fidonet existed.  And sendmail implements protocols, not the
> reverse...
>
> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827