Re: [ga] Domain names as observed (was Tucows Response to Cochetti Transfer Letter)

Joanna and all assembly members,

Joanna Lane wrote:

> on 7/27/01 1:18 PM, Sotiris Sotiropoulos at sotiris@hermesnetwork.com wrote:
> > I think this ought to be added to the thread "Domain Names as Observed"
> > (perhaps Joanna, you could add it to the list already at
> internetstakeholders.com?)
>
> Done. The current list is:-
>
> A Domain Name is neither dial tone nor a telephone number. IP connectivity
> is the closest analog to dial tone. An IP address is the closest analog to
> the phone number, which the DNS was designed to mask for the benefit of the
> end-user. (Ross Wm. Rader)
> Domain Names are a Public Resource.
> Domain Names are Private Property.

  You have a problem here with these two "Definitions?".  A Domain Name
cannot be both a Public Resource and Private property.  I think you mean
that the DNS is a Public Resource and Domain Names are Private Property?

> Domain Names are currently subject to lease contracts with registrars.
> Domain Names are a mnemonic aid for web site location.
> Domain Names can be a mnemonic aid for an IP address.

  This   is also technically incorrect as well.  And IP address it a translator
for a TLD or potentially a Domain Name.

> Domain Names are a mnemonic aid (as MX record) to address an Individual or
> Organization via email.
> Domain Names are a unique identifier of an Internet presence.
> Domain Names can appear in thousands of links embedded in web sites and thus
> acquire economic value for the registrant.
> Domain Names can be listed as Assets on companies' balance sheets.
> Domain Names can be ordered sold to satisfy creditors.
> Domain Names create wealth.
> Domain Names can be used as vehicles of on-line (free) "Speech".
> Domain Names can create copyrights.
> Domain Names can be used to establish, re-inforce or infringe on Trade
> Marks.
> Domain Names give independence from ISP's.
> Domain Names are a lucrative global industry.
> Domain Names are assigned according to a process which currently confers no
> legal rights to the holders of domain names.
> Domain Names can be bequeathed as heirlooms (witness the recent rise of baby
> domain names).
> Domain Names can determine the potential for success in an online venture.
> Domain Names are assigned through a registration process.
> Domain Names lack a qualification of the assignment properties (rights)
> conferred with the creation/acquisition of a domain name.
> Domain Names are a status symbol.
> Domain Names can be subdivided into sub-domains.
> Domain Names are a much sought after commodity.
> Domain Names are the very reason for the existence of the ICANN and its
> DNSO.
> Domain Names are assigned through a registration process that identifies,
> publishes and sells the physical contact details of registrants. (Joanna
> Lane)
> Domain Names can be transferred from registrar to registrar (usually).
> Domain Name prices vary, as do the ancillary services provided with
> registration by the various registrars.
> Domain Names are publications, as they allow for communication of
> information to the public.
> Domain Names are created by the original registrant.
> Domain Names can be registered from one up to ten years.
> Domain Names are convenient points of reference.
> Domain Names that exactly resemble natural language words or phrases are
> generally the most coveted. (Sotiris Sotiropoulos)
>
> What Registered Domain Names are NOT
> Property of Registries or Registrars
> Property of ICANN
> Property of WIPO
> (Sotiris Sotiropoulos)
>
>   Related Links
> *
> More about General Assembly

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827