Re: [ga] Eureka! Consensus... Definition? LOL

Sotiris and all assembly members,

  Excellent observations on your part here Sotiris.  They have been, in
different terms and in many different ways, articulated before.  Including
by yours truly.  Esthers rambling and highly politically motivated comments
as to a "Definition" of "Consensus" indeed show clearly that there really
is no such thing unless it can be measured.  Therefore WHOMEVER
determines what the publics ideas, comments, and suggestions are
strictly subjective, rather than objective and determined to a reasonable
certanty as to whether they are widely held as subjective policy making
is inconsistent with reality most of the time.  Such "Consensus" based
policy processes are being highly debated on a global basis by nations
all over the globe as recent major events have plainly indicated.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> Ok, now... for sure the men in white coats are coming to take ME away to the
> nice white room with padded walls scenario! Haha!
>
> >From a July 8, 1999, ICANN correspondence to The Honorable Thomas J. Bliley,
> Jr. Chairman of The House Committee on Commerce, there is the following
> (please read it carefully, it is a masterful piece of prose to which no less a
> personage than Esther Dyson herself put her name):
>
> "Because there were at the time of ICANN’s formation and remain today critics
> of either its bylaws or particular actions taken since its creation, it is
> useful to
> define what we mean when we use the word “consensus.” It obviously does not mean
> “unanimous,” nor is it intended to reflect some precise counting of heads pro or
> con on a particular subject, since in this environment that is simply not
> possible. What it does mean is that, on any particular issue, proposed policies
> are generated from public input and published to the world at large, comments
> are received and publicly discussed, and an attempt is made, from the entirety
> of that process, to articulate the consensus position as best it can be
> perceived.
>
> "Obviously, to the extent any individual or group undertakes to articulate a
> consensus of the overall community, its work is useful only to the extent it
> accurately
> reflects the consensus.  ICANN is no exception to this rule. Unfortunately,
> there is no litmus test that can objectively render a judgment as to whether
> this standard has been met in any particular situation. Perhaps the best test is
> whether the community at large is comfortable with the process and the results,
> and the best gauge of that is probably the level of continuing participation in
> the process, and voluntary compliance with the policies produced by that
> process.
>
> "This is, necessarily, a more ambiguous standard than counting votes or some
> other objectively measurable criteria, and it inevitably means less efficient,
> more
> messy, less linear movement, as the perceived community consensus shifts and
> adapts to change, or as perceptions of that consensus themselves are refined or
> change. Such a process is easily subject to criticism and attack by those not
> satisfied with the process or the results; after all, in the absence of some
> objective determination, it is impossible to definitively refute claims that the
> consensus has been misread, and loud noise can sometimes be mistaken for broad
> support for any proposition advanced.
>
> "Certainly there are those who do not accept that particular ICANN policies or
> decisions to date accurately reflect the community consensus, and there are some
> who are
> not comfortable with the process that has been employed to determine the
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827