Re: [ga] Moving Discussion -- Call on the Chair

Excellent questions, Sotiris.  At present, Part I of the Best Procedures is
scheduled to appear on ga-rules late tomorrow (Monday) morning (EDT),
and a procedure that avoids this kind of confusion can there be read in its
initial, outline form (so far setting out only the Principles and Definitions).
Under the procedure suggested, there would never be a question, at any
time, of the status of any ISSUE that some group of GA members was
publicly considering.  The procedure also drops off from its FLOW
CHART any ISSUE that such members determine deserves such a death,
or it carries such ISSUE inexorably to a conclusion, which is a definitive
VOTE.

Bill Lovell

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

Just a moment... I am confused.  Patrick, in your other email response to Bll
Lovell you write:

"At one time I was a government inspector.  The legislation we were working
under had a section called "Powers of Inspectors".  Please point to the
equivalent section that gives powers to the Chair or Alternate Chair."

And then, in this latest message cited below, you write:

> Dear Danny
> <snip>
>
> As Alternate Chair I submit this motion to you, as Chair, for your
> consideration.  As I understand the current procedures, the Chair is
> required to accept or reject the motion.
>
> I also understand that the DNSO Secretariat may not have the resources
> immediately available to conduct the vote.  Should this be the case, I
> would appreciate your personal acceptance of the proposed policy.

I might be missing something here, but where are the "current procedures"
mentioned above codified?  Further, if the Chair was to personally accept the
proposed policy, would that make it a de facto GA institution?

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos