[ga] Automated Cross Posting Limits

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 04:17:33 -0700, William X. Walsh wrote:
> If the Secretariat would add a

> header to every email sent to the list (replacing
> originalsender@domain.com with the actual poster's address of course)
> it would be trivial for a "Post Counter" to be run, which counts the
> number of posts from each sender.  This could be used to generate an
> automatic "warning" to the sender, thus providing a disincentive to
> further posts beyond the limit.

Hi William

I agree that automating the cross-posting limits would solve many problems.
In particular, it would:

(1)    reduce the "crowding" effect of excess postings to the lists
(2)    dispel any doubts and fears held by the person posting
(3)    eliminate those complaints and so reduce the list monitors work
(4)    save having to keep posting reminders every month or so

However, I don't agree that the poster should just be sent a warning as some
members of the list may simply ignore the warning and continue to post
excessively.  I therefore propose that:

The mailing list server software be configured for each of the various [ga]
lists to reject any post from the same sender over 5 within a 24 hour
period.  Any rejected post should be returned to the sender with a notice
explaining why the post was rejected.

If this suggestion can be supported, I am sure that much of the present
debate over the rules and list monitoring would be quickly eliminated.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss