Re: [ga] Question to Jeff Williams

Patrick and all assembly members,

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 00:07:06 EDT, Danny Younger wrote:
> > You have argued that the rules of this Assembly are "illegitimate".   Is
> > it your intention to continue violating the rules of this Assembly?
>
> Dear Danny
>
> Thank you for participating in the debate but that's not how it is done.

  Danny ask a legitimate question regarding an illegitimate set of imposed
rules.  So his question, by itself is legitimate, and I answered as accurately
and completely as I could in a separate post.  I hope that Danny understands
the answer as it is intended.  We will see...

> Jeff Williams has said the rules are "illegitimate".  I'd guess that
> somebody drafted a set of rules based on discussion on this list.  Perhaps
> there were even debates about the method of adopting the rules (voting
> procedures, etc.).  Clearly you then have a boot-strap paradox.
>
> Of course, any vote cannot be "legitimate" until the voting procedures have
> been set up first.  And anyone can refute the legitimacy of a process.  Some
> use this argument against the list monitors, the sublists, anything at all.

  At the time that the current set of illegitimate set of rules were imposed as
voting procedure was not yet in place.  There is one now.  We should use it.
However we continue to see complaints of concerns (Pick you term), that
to do that is expensive.  I don't see how...  I am still waiting on the answer
to a question to define how doing so is soooo expensive as some have claimed..

> On occasions, people question the legitimacy so hard that they pull down
> the system.  It happened with "apartheid" which was seen as legitimate
> but immoral.  It nearly happened with the presidential election in Florida.
> Certainly it happened with discrimination in Australia and the US.
>
> Now we had this before when a person was suspended for excess postings.
> He said the list limit was illegitimate because it had not been sanctioned
> by
> the Chair.  Nevertheless, the punishment was still enforced.  That sort of
> thing happens everytime there's an execution in the US.

  Yes, and it should happen when it is proven or clearly exhibited that
the method reason was not a legitimate process.  As Patrick Henry
said, "Give me liberty or give me death"...  Many were killed in those
times, as were many in the Apartheid regime in South Africa.  And
the result were that with Patrick Henry, he paid with his life.  He was
hanged by the English.  Have we not learned better than this sort of
thin by now?  If not, than history will repeat itself to a degree yet again.
Is that necessary?  I think not.  What say all of you?

> But none of what Jeff said is against the list rules as they are constituted
> at present.  It seems to me that you break the rules of the General Assembly
> by suggesting that about Jeff.
>
> You should respect the system and submit a complaint to the list monitors?
>
> Or do you want to make the system look REALLY illegitimate??

  What system????  This is a ML forum, not a system...

> Best regards
> Patrick Corliss

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827