Re: [ga] .kids domain

Alex and all assembly members,

Alexander Svensson wrote:

> Hello Leah,
>
> L Gallegos wrote on 04.07.01, 23:27:23:
> > I would not hesitate to write to the author of the bill regardless of
> > where you live.  It may serve to put our legislature on notice that
> > they need to pay attention to the global community and not just
> > the US.  This may be an opportune time to make that statement.
>
> thanks for your encouragement, but I remain skeptical
> because I know from people who actually worked for
> Congresspeople that they (have to) ignore e-mail even
> from outside their /Congressional District/. To cope with
> the enormous amount of incoming comments, sorting them
> by location of sender is a simple strategy.

 Indeed this is done by some congressman on a fairly regular basis.
That is why I earlier suggested alternate methods of letting congress
members your concerns.

> For a North
> Californian Representative, Grapevine TX is "not his
> bailiwick", let alone Hamburg, Germany. That's why
> the "Write Your Representative" system has been set up.

  Some but not all Congress folk do take this attitude.  That is
why you can also write your embassy in Washington and request of
them to contact the appropriate or specified congress person to let
you feeling and concerns known.  I receive on a fairly regular basis
very direct communications (e-mail) from a number of
Congressmen and Senators that are not in my state, let alone
district.

> Nonetheless: To write to Mr Shimkus from outside the U.S.,
> you can go to http://www.house.gov/writerep/ and select
> "Illinois", for the ZIP code you can enter "62234" and "3019".
> You should provide your real address in your message, since
> any reply will be in written form, not per e-mail.

  It is always good to provide an accurate address, as I do, in your
communications with congressmen and senators.

> > This proposed legislation does make a point, though, doesn't it?
> > How can ICANN claim to be a multinational organization and the
> > root a global entity when it is owned and controlled by the US
> > government? Isn't it, then, a US root with a huge market share,
> > managed by a private US corporation?
>
> I don't think private US corporations are evil per se, as
> long as their actions and internal workings reflect the global
> nature of the Net, and there definitely is room for improvement...
> If the bill passes (which I think is highly unlikely), the U.S.
> parliament has failed the litmus test for providing an
> environment in which such an experiment as ICANN can take place.

  The US doesn't have a parliamentary form of government and therefore
does not have a parliament.  We have a House of Representatives and a
Senate.

> > With ICANN not having to
> > answer to anyone but the state AG and DoC and with DoC simply
> > rubber stamping anything that ICANN decides per their stated
> > policy, we seem to have just what was said at the February
> > hearing:
> >
> > ...ICANN answers to no one but maybe God and perhaps not even
> > to Him...
>
> I don't think California's Attorney General or the U.S.
> Department of Commerce /should/ have a decisive say
> in Internet management.

  I agree.

> > Also from the hearing:
> >
> > ["Mr. Pickering:  This is the dilemma for us and has been for the
> > very beginning.  The reason we have ICANN is to avoid the APA,
> > the Adiminstrative Procedures Act, as much as any reason.  We
> > didn't want the APA to apply to ICANN."]
>
> I remember Congressman Dingell referring to ICANN as
> "the agency which we are constituting to act on behalf of
> the U.S. government" in that hearing. Ouch.
>
> > Open, transparent, bottom-up?
> Way to go!
>
> Best regards,
> /// Alexander

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827