[ga] Re: UDRP Task Force Member

Danny:

The number of "slots" on the UDRP review "task force" is limited.
As you may have noticed, it is not possible these days to get
the people who control the Names Council to authorize the
creation of open Working groups any more. I think they have
set aside 1 slot from the GA. However, we also authorized
two slots for independent experts, people who need not be
affiliated with GA or any other constituency. If the GA wants
to recommend names for those positions it can do so.

The Syracuse University study is available at:
http://dcc.syr.edu/roughjustice.pdf

This study will be updated in a few months.

I know nothing about the Max Planck institute study, you need
to ask the IP constituency about that.

--MM

>>> <DannyYounger@cs.com> 06/30/01 02:33AM >>>
Dear Milton,

Thank you for your earlier suggestion to look for a candidate with a law
background as well as Internet knowledge.  We will do our best to field a
candidate that best represents the GA, and I will soon ask our Secretariat to
send out an announcement indicating that we are seeking a representative.  I
am collecting input from our Assembly members so that we can make the best
possible choice.

As it is already becoming quickly apparent, we have a high degree of interest
in this issue, and probably a large number of experts that can contribute to
this topic.  I am aware that the Council has recently been debating the
inclusion of non-constituency "experts" in Names Council Task Forces... if
the GA can offer a number of suitable qualified candidates, will your Task
Force be willing to accept more than one individual?

Please let us know as soon as possible, as this will affect our selection
process.

In the meantime, will you be able to provide URLS for the Syracuse University
study, the Max Plank Institute study and the Rose Communication study?

Best regards,
Danny