Re: [ga] UDRP Questionnaire

Sandy Harris wrote:

> The closest thing to a definition, in rather formal terms:
>
> | 3.1. Name space specifications and terminology
> |
> | The domain name space is a tree structure.  Each node and leaf on the
> | tree ...
> |
> | Each node has a label, ... One label is reserved, and that is
> | the null (i.e., zero length) label used for the root.
> |
> | The domain name of a node is the list of the labels on the path from
> | the node to the root of the tree.  By convention, the labels that
> | compose a domain name are printed or read left to right, from the
> | most specific (lowest, farthest from the root) to the least specific
> | (highest, closest to the root).

Thanks for digging this up Sandy, but as you know, this is simply a description
of the DNS.

Is anyone else aware of anything approaching a definition of Domain Names?  I
must admit, I am rather surprised that we have not heard from anyone in the IP
field on this matter.  It seems to me that domain names must be *something* if
they can be subjected to a "sham" (a la Bill Lovell) process such as the UDRP
in the first place!  Surely somebody representing the IP community must have
something to offer us on this topic?

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos