Re: [ga] Quorum and Definition

--On 25. juni 2001 18:17 -0400 Sotiris Sotiropoulos
<sotiris@hermesnetwork.com> wrote:

> My offlist-reply to Harald's earlier email was a mistake.  I must have hit
> Reply when I meant to hit Reply All.  My apologies to Harald.  But, I
> think harald's reply speaks to an interesting issue.  The low
> participation rate of the GA membership in votes.

When deciding what rules to propose, there were 2 opposing interests
discussed,
both having to do with the ease of changing the rules:

- avoiding the easy capture of the GA by a small group of activists in
  the face of a large, but less active majority. This argues for a
relatively
  large "minimum quorum".

- avoiding the paralysis of the GA by a large group of people who have
registered
  once and then have lost interest and left. This argues for a relatively
small
  "minimum quorum".

The compromise numbers proposed (20% or 100 votes, whichever is lower)
seems to have worked reasonably well - we got a quorum on the rule changes
proposed so far,
even in the face of a large group of disinterested voters.

This note isn't about what's the Right Thing, but tries to explain some of
the
reasoning that went into the current ruleset.

Things I would consider doing differently:

- Imposing a yearly reregistration on the voting registry, so that the truly
  disinterested voters get removed from the count of registered voters
after a
  while

- Imposing a minimum quorum rule on general motions as well as on rule
changes
  (note that experience shows that the minimum quorum needs to be
surprisingly
  low....)

But detailed discussion of proposals for changes really belong on the
ga-rules list...

                 Harald