Re: [ga] Meaning of "Consensus"

"Gomes, Chuck" wrote:

> A quorum is needed to validate a vote or a poll.  But votes and polls should
> not be thought of as methods for evaluating full consensus.

Indeed, I would agree with you on this point.  The full consensus process should
include adequate public discussion and documentation of all presented
viewpoints.  This part of the consensus process is where everyone concedes to
discuss and develop their ideas on a given issue.  If no consensus existed, how
could discussion on a matter go forward?  All parties must be interested in
being as forthcoming as possible to ensure that a wide variety of possibilities
are considered.  Within this process there will be much disagreement, but there
will also be education.  In the final, and small part that voting does play, it
is best to have an educated electorate voting on a given range of issues (unless
one is looking for a capture).  Hence, I would agree with Danny Younger's
discussion of the need for documentation in a consensus process.

> At best they
> can only be a small part of the overall consensus development process.

The small part of a ballot is the surety of a decision being reached.  But, I am
glad to see that you share my view on the need for a quorum to validate
votes/polls.

Amiably,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos