[ga] Re: [council] Fw: [cctld-discuss] NCDNHC To Be ccTLD"Oversight" Body?

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [council] Fw: [cctld-discuss] NCDNHC To Be ccTLD"Oversight" Body?
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:21:47 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga-full@dnso.org

All assembly members,

  Reposted (Not cross posted per Patrick Corliss rant),
from the NCDNJC list along with my response.  This may be
of interest to the GA members...

============== Post from NCDNHC starts here ==========

YJ and all,

  It would seem to me that the proper body for such a proposed oversight
body would be the DNSO GA.  I am sorry if this is in contrast to your
view
in this instance.  But the NCDNHC is only one constituency within the
DNSO.  The DNSO GA allows participation of any constituency
member as well as others.  Therefore the reason for my suggestion of
the DNSO GA.

YJ Park wrote:

> Those who are concerned in NCDNHC's ccTLD resolution,
>
> NCDNHC resolution comprised of three parts.
> Please, note that each resolution was passed separately
> and finally it was passed in one motion after three different
> voting to make it easier in presenting resolutions in the forum.
>
> 1st, support for forming a body which would provide technical
> assistance to developing countries' ccTLD registries.
> (Proposed by Hakikur and no objection from the community.)
>
> 2nd, NCDNHC's body which will study whether the current
> ICP-1 and RFC-1591 documents need to be modified, supplemented,
> or replaced by a new document which will ensure ccTLD admin
> adhere to community-based, community-supported and neutral
> registry operations of the ccTLD registries in consonance with
> ICANN's policy of ensuring a neutral gTLD registry.
> (Proposed by Horacio and have raised concerns from the community.)
>
> Due to Horacio's absence in the meeting, his motion was explained
> by several people to understand his motion.
>
> FYI, the body formation by NCDNHC also raised concerns during the
> discussion on June 1st whether NCDNHC has such resources and it
> was very unclear what kind of roles or functions are expected from such
> a body. However, it is very clear that nobody in the constituency, as far
> as I understand, considers such a body can paly "oversight" role, which
> has been raised by ccTLD communities. The general rationale which I
> understood was NCDNHC has to be involved with ccTLD issues as part
> of local Internet community which is also clearly written in ccTLD's
> "Best Practice" document.
>
> 3rd, My ammendment addresses the importance of consulation with
> local Internet community which should not exclude non-commercial
> voices and more open discussion under the assumption that ccTLD
> is one of DNSO constituencies.
>
> However, under ccSO condition as proposed in Stockholm, this motion
> can be changed in the ccSO context.
>
> ccSO is expected to elaborate "local Internet community" and is to
> facilitate its consultation with appropriate bodies and parties including
> local Internet community.
>
> DNSO/ICANN has been occupied with gTLD concerns from its
> beginning and little chances to be involved with ccTLD concerns.
> i.e. DNSO has looked into Verisign contract whether it is fair to
> the global Internet community. With the same logic, I do believe
> ccTLD contract should be consulted with the relevant community
> in an open manner. Such ccTLD contract or issues will affect
> ISPs, Registrars, Non-commecial folks, business in the same
> fashion the gTLD affects to them.
>
> If DNSO is not the proper place to have such an open forum,
> ccTLD constituency can propose ccSO which will encompass
> its relevant stakeholders in the form of General Assembly such as
> local Internet community which is expected to be defined with
> more clean-cut mode rather than leaving a blank which can be
> arbitrarily changed without consistancy.

> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827