Re: [ga] dotbiz-info SM & TM questions

Alex and all assembly members,

Alexander Svensson wrote:

> Marc Schneiders wrote on 22.05.01, 02:12:02:
> > It does work with 4 characters at neulevel.com. I just tried for BIJT,
> > except for paying for it, naturally. The more I read about it, the
> > more I feel sick. An officially ICANN sanctioned lottery.
>
> I'm not so sure about that. At least trademark holders
> /don't/ get the domain simply by claiming trademark
> rights. E.g., if Marc claims BIJT(tm) and I manage to
> register bijt.biz for my Better Investigative Journalism
> Training business, I'm informed of Marc's claim and
> Marc is informed of my registration.
>
> Marc is free to file a Startup Opposition Policy
> complaint, but if I "(as an individual, business, or other
> organization) have been commonly known by the domain name",
> even if I /haven't/ acquired trademark or service mark
> rights, then it is bona fide use and I can keep it. More
> importantly, the IP claims expire when .biz goes live.

  I am sorry but I cannot agree with your contention here as
stated.  A number of UDRp filings or cases show clearly
that you contention here Alex doe not ring true in every
instance (A noted inconsistency with UDRP decisions).

> (One may of course wonder whether this is worth $90. :))
>
> Best regards,
> /// Alexander

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827