[ga] WIPO's Best Practices for ccTLDs

Hi John

> So, if protecting public health is not a WIPO mission, then someone is
> going to have to inform WIPO.

I think we all understand the point now.  I see it as good humoured ;-)

But I would like to encourage people to use the new mailing lists.  The
mailing list relevant to WIPO and the UDRP is [ga-tm] as follows:

Trade Marks & IP:  To consider and recommend policy improvements in relation
to the use of domain names as a speech mechanism including, but not limited
to, its use for advertising, promotion, protest and criticism particularly
where such use may infringe on the rights or interests of other parties such
as trade-mark holders.

PRPOSED AGENDA

(1)    ICANN & UDRP Structure
Accountability of arbitrators etc.
Appeals & Court jurisdiction
Oversight and policing of "rules"
Blanket "no liability" for ICANN and providers

(2)    UDRP Guidelines & Rationale
Are domains property?
Famous names and hoarding
Definition of "cybersquatting"
Multiple claimants, expired domains
Relationship to "trade mark law"
Common Law Trade Mark Rights

(3)    Dispute Procedures
Dispute procedures & proofs
Time for posting complaint & response
Identical or confusingly similar
"bad faith", speculation & hoarding
Owner seasrches & pattern matching
Speech - generic and protest words.
Reverse domain name hijacking.
Review of systemic faults or failures.

(4)    WIPO-2
Possible extensions to present system.
Common words, pharmaceutical ids and geographic terms.
WIPO comment period ends 8th June 2001.

(5)    Best Practices for ccTLDs
Applicability to ccTLDs & others
Reconciling different jurisdictions
WIPO comment period ends 30th April 2001.

I'd appreciate any input members might have on these issues.

Sincerely
Alternate Chair