Re: [ga] Alternative roots

First of all I think we should all agree that the term Alt or Alternative roots, is not negative but simply a catch phrase which is descirptive in the positive meaning of giving choice.

OTOH if collisions mean destruction of that choice the definition is helpful in determining the difference between competitive roots and alternative roots.  If one party benefits by harm to another party I would say that is competitive.

In this context we revisit .biz.  You can twist it any way you want but ICANN's behavior on this matter is clearly competitive. Add into this fray Prof. Froomkin's article which appears very verifiable (unless we face a massive conspiracy).
"when ICANN takes a decision, it relies on the view of what it considers the four or five major stakeholders" - decided by staff.

We must reach a MOU with alternate-competitors or stop pretending that we can be each others officers and or each others members.

Kristy McKee wrote:

1)  We do not want to introduce new TLDs into the USG Root that are already
in use by other Roots.

If it is competition, yes we do! I don't but who am I.

2)  We do want the USG Root service to create a process for communicating
and collaborating with the other Root services.

First show us the benefit to ICANN and compliance with the MOU, White Paper, the RFCs, Tax and corporate law, and the DoC and subcontractor (registry and registrar)agreements. Non-profits collaborating with profits is a sticky wicket at best.

2a) The TLDA seems like the natural choice - they are already making
progress in this arena - the ICANN should join the TLDA.

There is a certain conflict of interest within the GA, but it seems that defacto the TLDA has already joined the GA.

I would take it one step further and say the ICANN should work with all
other Root Services; but understand not everyone agrees with me...

I like cooperation but concessions will have to be made and DoC approval is a must.

Sincerely,