Re: [ga] .ie Seeks to Organize Irish Bid to Run .eu

> Bruce James wrote:

> I think that ICANN should assign dot.EU to the European Commission and let it decide
> who will run it.....IMHO

If that were a motion, I'd second it. However, it doesn't seem to be, so I'll
propose my own:

 ICANN should immediately inform the European Commission that .eu will be created
 at their request, and instruct Verisign to make preparations to have it running
 within two working days of receipt of such a request.

 The letter informing them of this should specify (possibly by reference to
 existing documents) what name server and other information must be provided and
 what administrative procedures will be required to authenticate the request.

 Any charges involved should be no more than a reasonable administration fee.

Do I have a second? Debate?

I see no reason and admin fee should be more than about $100, 50 bucks each for
clerical work at ICANN and an hour's system admin time at Verisign. I wouldn't
argue if someone with better knowledge than mine of ICANN and Verisgn systems
said $1000 was justified, though.

Nor do I see any reason this needs much discussion. The domain makes sense
and the organisation seems quite likely to be competent to administer it.