[ga] Competitive Roots [was Additional Mailing Lists]

Patrick Corliss writes:
 > Can't agree, honestly.  First it's an issue with New.net's drive to
 > expand its operations.

Why does the GA need to waste time discussing issues involved with a
commercial entity's business plan?  It has absolutely no bearing on
anything in the GA charter.

 > Secondly, many people will keep bringing it
 > up if .biz gets approved and operational.

Use the mailing list rules to prevent off-topic discussion.

 > Thirdly, there is going to
 > have to be a debate about MultiBind.

Why?  What is there to debate about MultiBind?  It is a piece of
software that people either run or do not run?  Where in the GA charter
does this come into play?  Again, off-topic.

 > Fourthly, we need to consider
 > multilinguals but this is a diversion for many, if not most, on the
 > main mailing list.

Why?  This is a *technical* issue which the IETF is dealing with.  This
is not a political issue and does not concern the GA.  Off-topic.

 > Finally I don't see why we ought not to discuss
 > the competition - Pepsi does !!

Competition with the GA?

 > The whole issue really needs to be shunted off to a separate mailing
 > list somewhere.  Otherwise it will keep coming back to haunt the main
 > list.

Off-topic discussions are prohibited by the GA list rules.  Enforce the
rules.

 > I know I have an interest in this topic but that's just good common
 > sense.

You seem to have a conflict of interest in this issue.  Just because you
want to talk about it does not make it any more germaine.

/Joe