[ga] Re: Competitive Roots [was Additional Mailing Lists]

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> Can't agree, honestly.  First it's an issue with New.net's drive to expand its
> operations.

new.net relies on partnerships that may or may not have staying power over the
long term.  They are primarily reliant upon ancillary services for the resolution
of their "rootzone" (for lack of a better characterization).  Assuming that @Home
(and/or the rest) of New.net's partners do not go under, get bought out, or are
otherwise disinclined to continue their relationship, New.net goes nowhere.  Now,
I'm not saying New.net is not going to last... but the truth is, New.net is not
intrinsically wedded to the worldwide DNS infrastructure.

> Secondly, many people will keep bringing it up if .biz gets
> approved and operational.

The upcoming .BIZ registry is ICANN-approved and constitutes an attempt to
alleviate a perceived name space shortage.  When (and *if*, big if) this TLD
becomes operational, there will be plenty of opportunity to discuss its impact.
Now may not be the best time, and that's really all I'm saying..

> Thirdly, there is going to have to be a debate
> about MultiBind.

This will happen at some point, I'm sure.  However, I believe this is a technical
issue which falls outside the purview of the policy-oriented DNSO (but, I could be
wrong).

> Fourthly, we need to consider multilinguals but this is a
> diversion for many, if not most, on the main mailing list.

I think there is still much unsettled business in the English/Roman character
based DNS...

> Finally I don't
> see why we ought not to discuss the competition - Pepsi does !!

Pepsi and Coke discuss each other only to the extent that they are looking for
weak points to exploit to their respective advantages, and not for reasons of
sharing their markets.

> The whole issue really needs to be shunted off to a separate mailing list
> somewhere.  Otherwise it will keep coming back to haunt the main list.

No doubt.  But at this point, I think the best way to deal with it is to avoid the
topic as much as possible, as it is not on the Stockholm agenda (again, I may be
wrong).

> I know I have an interest in this topic but that's just good common sense.

This does not affect my opinion of you or your work on this ML.  I sincerely hope
we can make the best of whatever opportunities for discussion we do finally agree
upon.

Amiably,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos