RE: [ga] Dave: "they are free"

I am the administrator for aaaq.com (I use it for email, web, etc.).  I
control aaaq.com and I rule when it comes to the creation of anything else
that is added to the left of aaaq.com, i.e., www.aaaq.com, sales.aaaq.com,
etc.

Going up the ladder, VeriSign is the administrator for .com.  VeriSign
controls .com and VeriSign rules when it comes to the creation of anything
else that is added to the left of .com, i.e., domain1.com, domain2.com, etc.

Going up the ladder once more, the DoC is the administrator for the dot
(better known as the USG root or ICANN root).  The DoC controls the dot and
the DoC rules when it comes to the creation of anything else that is added
to the left of the dot, i.e., .com, .net, etc.

Alternative root community registries want to sell domain name registrations
in TLDs.  The only way to do that is to get people to switch from the ICANN
root system to the root system which contains the TLDs in which they hope to
sell domain name registrations.  The number one business problem faced by
the alternative root community registries, therefore, is how to get people
to make the switch?  Answer...

"We'll just add to our root systems the TLDs that are contained in the ICANN
root system, thereby fooling people into thinking there is no difference
between the two systems.  All will work as it worked before, only now we
will be able to sell domain name registrations in our TLDs as well because
our TLDs, in addition to the TLDs contained in the ICANN root, will also
work."

(NOTE: I now believe that "alternative root" is a misnomer.  I believe
"competitive root" is more appropriate and will use that term from now on.)

The DoC decides to add another TLD to the dot (ICANN root system).  The TLD
the DoC adds to the dot is a TLD in which a competitive root system registry
has been selling domain name registrations.  The competitive root system
that contains the same TLD as the one the DoC adds to the dot now has a
problem.  Why?  Because in any root system, all TLDs have to be unique.  The
business problem for the competitive root operator now becomes, which TLD do
they use?  The one in the ICANN root or the one in their own root?  It's
quite a dilemma.

The competitive root operator decides they want to keep in their root the
TLD in which their competitive root registry has been selling domain names.
Unfortunately, for the customers of the competitive root registry that
registered domain names in the added TLD, "collisions" occur and their
customer's email goes off in wrong directions, is never delivered, is
delivered to the wrong people, people trying to visit their websites can
sometimes get there, sometimes they can't get there, etc., etc.

Additionally, some people with domain names in the added ICANN root system
TLD also experience "collisions".  Until the addition of the TLD, the
competitive root system could safely add the ICANN TLDs to their root system
without causing problems.  Now, with the addition of the new ICANN TLD, the
competitive root operator adding the ICANN TLDs is creating problems for
some users of the Internet.  In fact, some people might say that the
business practices of the competitive root operators was causing instability
on the Internet.

In conclusion, instability on the Internet is a bad thing, for everyone.  If
the competitive root operators cause instability on the Internet as a result
of their business practices, that instability then also becomes ICANN's (or
the DoC's) problem.  What is the answer?  Perhaps ICANN should begin by
making a request to the competitive root community to remove from their
systems all ICANN TLDs, or at the very least the TLD for which ICANN intends
to add to its root.  In the absence of cooperation, ICANN should perhaps
then explore all legal means to have the TLD (yes, .biz) removed from all
competitive root systems, if not all ICANN (DoC) TLDs.

Regards,

Jeff
--
jeff field