Re: [ga] I want to be on the Inclusivbe Name Space SIG ML

Domain Name System General Assembly (DNSGA)
http://www.dnsga.org

The DNSGA is involved in an active approach of which the DNSO and GA cannot
pursue because of their conflicts and association with ICANN.

The DNSGA replied yesterday to Leah representing the AtlanticRoot Network, Inc.
as follows:

You are raising very interesting points concerning the alternative root
community.

However, the DNSGA was focusing on the matter of alternative root Registrars
advertising practices and their claims that describe alternative root domain
names to be the same as .com domain names. Clearly there is a difference in
that .com domain names cannot access alternative root domain names unless a
workstation computer or ISP is pointing to the alternative root. This appears
confusing to the average consumer who registers a domain name. The average
consumer understands .com, but does not understand the alternative root
domains.

The matter the DNSGA was focusing on in its comment is the United States
Federal Trade Commission (FTC) jurisdiction over advertising practices and
consumer protection. It appears that the FTC can claim that the average
consumer understands .com, but not the alternative root domains. This is all
the FTC needs to engage businesses claiming that alternative root domain names
are the same as .com domain names. The FTC can claim that alternative root
domain names are not equivalent to .com domain names. The FTC is a powerful
agency with broad jurisdiction. The FTC could prevent U.S. businesses from
selling alternative root domain names to consumers.

It is important for organizations like yours to participate in explaining your
opinion regarding how the alternative root community will be compatible with
the .com root system.

So, the issue right now are the representation made to consumers regarding
alternative root domain names vs. the .com domain names. Arguments concerning
other uses of alternative root communities may come later.

If organizations like yours, and interested parties, do not participate in
forums now to explain the compatibility issues and develop solutions that can
be communicated to government, ICANN may be successful at convincing the United
States Department of Commerce ("DoC") and international Government Advisory
Committee ("GAC") representatives that ICANN policies and agreements must be
accepted or else alternative roots will create chaos and fracture the Internet.
This could be enough to convince World governments to consolidate against the
alternative root community.

Alternative root community representatives should immediately participate in
explaining their position to the industry. The DNSGA is a vehicle that can
effectively communicate to the United States Government ("USG") the significant
arguments concerning the alternative root community.

The DNSGA is scheduled to file a legal action with the DoC May 2001. The DNSGA
will address alternative root issues and other matters and we invite you to
participate in submitting your comments or opinion regarding the alternative
root community so that we can better understand this matter and the
compatibility issues and develop solutions.

Derek Conant
DNSGA President and Chairman