Re: [ga] Death Struggle in Name Space

Hello Patrick,

Friday, April 13, 2001, 11:55:43 PM, Patrick Corliss wrote:
<snip>
> That's why the whole "alternative" community are united in their opposition.
<snip>
> It is my view that the answer to this question will determine the future of the
> internet.  It is certainly an appropriate policy reference to the General
> Assembly or a Working Group.

It's my opinion that the argument that this is a collision is the worst
possible argument the Alternative namespace community can be making.
Because as you said, it means that if they do not win, they have lost,
and the odds are stacked against them.

The alt.root people need to embrace the independence of their root
systems, and rather than see that as a bad thing, turn it into a
positive and start marketing from there.

The longer and more vocally they stick to this idea of a single
namespace and that there is such a thing as collisions, the better the
arguments for a central authority to manage the namespace, ala ICANN
since there are no reasonably suitable alternatives that have a chance
of international recognition.

The death struggle will only come about if the alt.root people insist
on it.  I think this collision play is the worst possible foot to be
putting forward at this point, especially since the alt.root position
with regard to ICANN is still as weak as it is (visibility and use
wise).  If they had a more substantial visibility than they have
currently, then maybe this collision play would stand a better chance,
but sticking to it with the weak case currently existing, is certainly
a recipe for failure.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com