RE: [ga] collisions in namespace (was gTLD Constituency)

Whatever...I'm done arguing the difference between what you call an upgrade
and what I would think most others would call an alternative...but I will
not back down on my belief that the site is misleading, especially to anyone
that goes there that is unfamiliar with the inner workings of the Internet,
i.e. 99% (or whatever the correct figure is) of Internet users.

Some time ago in the days of InterNIC, when the only place to go register a
name was www.internic.net, a company from Australia set up a website for
domain name registration using the web address, www.internic.com.  Although
they also had a few small print/buried disclaimers, there was also copy that
would lead many to think they had arrived at the official InterNIC site to
register domain names.  I believe they charged $250 to register a name when
the same thing could be done at the real InterNIC site for $100 (that was
the fee at the time).  The only mistake they made, going to .com instead of
.net cost them $150 for each name registered.  The site was eventually shut
down...in fact, I just found the old stories over at www.news.com (for the
full stories, search on "internic.com"):

Domain reseller confuses users - July 9, 1997
Internic.com clarifies disclaimers - July 11, 1997
FTC goes after domain broker - August 21, 1997
Domain registry charged with fraud - May 1, 1998
Bogus Australian domain registry blocked - June 8, 1999

The way in which information is presented at the alternative root .biz
registration site reminds me a lot of the internic.com scam.  And with that,
I'm done debating this issue.

Regards,

Jeff
--