[ga] Re: In defense of the assignment of .edu to EDUCAUSE

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: In defense of the assignment of .edu to EDUCAUSE
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:58:23 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga-full@dnso.org

All remaining assembly members,

  From the NCDNHC list:

Tim Langdell, PhD wrote:

> By the way, my observation about the inconsistency of the alleged
> limitations of use of ".edu" and the fact Educause fails to meet the
> criteria and yet owns an EDU domain, should not be taken as criticism from
> me of the choice of Educause. It was merely a logical problem I saw that I
> felt needed to be addressed.

  It did, and still does need addressing.  Thank you for bringing it to
our
attention.

> What comes out of all this for me is the lack of clarity: Is ".edu" really
> solely restricted (or supposed to be) per the IANA page? If so, indeed what
> about all the institutions around the world and here in the States who are
> not degree giving 4-yr colleges (including Educause itself ...) that
> therefore are not "supposed" to have this domain but who all have it?

  Good questions here, and ones that should have been flushed out BEFORE
the contract with Educause that DOC has let, was consummated or
otherwise
awarded.  However, it is doubtful now or at least moot that the last of
your
two questions here will ever be reasonably resolved in an honest way.
As such, it seems fairly clear to me and others that a bad precedent
has been set here.  Next will be .ORG and .NET should DOC/NTIA
approve the new Verisign "New Deal" contract.

> But if
> ".edu" is meant to be purely for U.S. 4-yr colleges then perhaps the
> selection of Educause is appropriate ... again, it is a lack of clarity as
> to what one should expect to take place that has caused this entire thread.

  Hummm?  This doesn't logically follow, Tim.  If Educause is NOT
a 4 year accredited college, than how does it become appropriate
when it has a .EDU Domain Name?

> Last, to play devil's advocate, consider -- rather than "senior person in
> ICANN gets favoritism and his entity is granted registry rights in .edu",
> think "given the key historic role of 4-yr colleges and education in the
> growth of the Internet, that someone involved with EduCom/Educause may have
> just been a natural for involvement in ICANN" ...  just a thought..

  The word "MAY" is key here in your thought process and logic/reason.
It implies that Educause (Mike Roberts) MAY NOT have been so as well.
After all Mike Roberts was "Hand picked" by Jon Postal, and not elected
by the stakeholders.  I think it is fairly reasonable to assume that the
Stakeholders would have preferred to have had the option to CHOOSE
whom would be a better choice for CEO.  I know in my company our
employees and stock holders (Private), do...  Just a thought though....
>;)

> Tim

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827