RE: [ga] Question No. 1

I think Roeland is right on target.  The DNS is a kind of language --
it gives names to things.  Coordination is very valuable in a language
-- if Roeland calls a round spherical object a 'ball,' and I call it a
'goidosphere,' we're going to have trouble understanding one
another.  But we need imposed coordination of the ICANN variety about
as much as we need a Bureau of Definitions to tell us what words
mean.  We had this fight 200 years ago; really smart and sensible
people actually argued that we needed things like the Academie
Francaise to 'authorize' particular labels for things, lest chaos
ensue.  That argument lost,
decisively.  See  http://www.temple.edu/lawschool/dpost/DrakeTalk.pdf
  Somehow we manage to agree to call it a 'ball', or not, quite
effectively without any single institution telling us we have to do that.

David

David G. Post     Temple University Law School and The Tech Center,
George Mason Univ. Law School
Postd@erols.com
215-204-4539 or 202-364-5010
http://www.temple.edu/lawschool/dpost.html